"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Thursday, February 05, 2004

Valentine

Jim Behrle is posting candy hearts over at his blog. I'm thinking about Valentine's day. I don't usually think much of holidays (except when they mean a day off) but yesterday the young woman who makes my coffee asked me if I had any Valentine's day plans. On one hand, I think she was just making small talk, but what better way to determine whether someone is single, no? I told her if I could find a date in the next ten days I'd be going out. She laughed.

A couple weeks ago, one of my students, during office hours, made a passing comment including something like the following phrase: "well, obviously you don't have a family." Is it obvious? This means two things: 1) I'm at the age where I'm now expected to have a family 2) I'm aberrant because I don't, which means that I must be unlovable, uncohabitable with, or just a loser.

Last Valentine's day I went bowling with two friends of mine (a couple). I smoked 'em. I'm a decent rise-to-the-occasion bowler. It must be the 7th grade junior bowling league in me.

If you have Valentine's recipes, send 'em my way. Or dinner stories, or anything else.

No comments: