"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Some Questions

Is there one thing that all avant-garde art has in common? (besides opposition to the "mainstream")

What do we mean when we say "experimental" poetry?

I took one of those "What poet are you?" quizzes and it said I was Sharon Olds. Is it normal to want to kill myself now? Or should I reserve murderous thoughts for the obviously screwed-up inventor(s) of that quiz?

Is the avant-garde/experimental paradoxical in that it traditionally strikes an ultra-romantic pose but does so within the confines of a community (thus making it "classical" instead of "romantic")?

Am I a poseur if I read mostly avant-garde/experimental poetry but write very traditonal, mainstream poems? Am I simply a SOQ poet with Avant-envy?

No comments: