"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Tuesday Without Warning

Halfway through my stack of "Intro to the English Major (Part 2)" final exams.

I have learned that:

Aemelia Lanyer and Anne Bradstreet are one and the same.

A trochaic substitution in the first foot fails to "give the line the DA DA DA sound."

People with illegible handwriting make me testy.

Everyone could identify the Pope passage from "Essay on Criticism" except for the poor young lady who thought it was Benjamin Franklin and the fellow who claimed it was from Swift's "Gulliver's Travels."
The same exam-taker also incorrectly attributed a passage from "Paradise Lost" to John Donne.


*

I've had exactly one response to my poetry test below. Thanks Chris.

Everyone else (all three of you): please play.

*

Josh Corey has still not responded to my private invitation to have a Ronald Johnson cook-off. So I'm going public. It is necessary that you have or acquire a copy of RJ's "The American Table." We (I and whoever decides to take me up on the offer) will cook dishes from RJ's book on the same day or night, photograph the dish (if possible), eat the dish, and broadcast the results on our blogs. Or if you don't have a blog, I'll do all the posting here. Poet-Chefs unite!


No comments: