"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

My Mayhew Collage Attempt

is fairly pitiful. The rules are simply that all lines must be from memory. No checking sources. Mine is short and choppy compared to Jonathan's. I'll send one crisp dollar bill to the first person to cite all sources by poem and poet.

"Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so. I knew a woman lovely in her bones. This honey is delicious though it burns the throat. Are the babies singing in you? yet. I went to the garden of love. I come my sweet to sing to you. Mirth is the mail of anguish. Chinamen jump on Asia with a thump. They may not mean to but they do. Hast thou, the master-mistress of my passion. Can never wholly kiss you, wholly to be a fool. Look into your heart and write. Anne, who are dead and whom I loved in a rather asinine fashion, I think of you often. For God’s sake hold your tongue and let me love. Batter my heart. They were surprised by the blue and red shower at night. Once you were immortal in the flame. Get up Lana Turner, we love you! Earth is the place for love. From a distance, in another tree. When my hair was cut straight across my forehead. He ido marcando con cruces de fuego. While spring is in the world."

2 comments:

Reen said...

Not quite complete. Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks . . .

1. John Berryman – Dream Song 14
2. Theodore Roethke – I Knew a Woman
3. John Ashbery – They Dream Only of America
4. Joseph Ceravolo – Pregnant, I Come
5. William Blake – The Garden of Love
6.William Carlos Williams – Asphodel, that Greeny Flower
7. Emily Dickinson – A wounded deer leaps highest
8. Frank O’Hara – Chinamen Jump
9. Philip Larkin – This Be the Verse
10. William Shakespeare – Sonnet 20
11. e.e. cummings – since feeling is first
12. Sir Philip Sidney -- ?
13. ? -- Wonderful Things
14. John Donne – The Canonization
15. John Donne – Batter My Heart (Holy Sonnet 14)
16. Clark Coolidge – From Notebooks (1976-1982)
17. Brenda Hillman – The Spark
18. Frank O’Hara – Poem
19. Robert Frost – Birches
20. ??
21. Ezra Pound – The River Merchant’s Wife – A Letter
22. Pablo Neruda – Poema 13
23. e.e. cumming – “since feeling is first”

TT said...

Wow, good work Reen. Wallace Stevens' "No Possum, No Sop, No Taters" is in there too.