"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Weekend Things (in no particular order)

1. The Pipettes. I'm in love with this band. They're a girl group. Their schtick is (as far as I can tell) only slightly tongue-in-cheek. And the music? Infectious.

2. Sunrise Asian Market. Maybe my favorite place in Eugene. This week's booty: a dozen packs of Indonesian ramen, a couple of bags of lime leaves, fish sauce (Squid brand), green papaya, mint, garlic chives, galangal, lemongrass.

3. Microplane zester/grater. Works wonders on anything--citrus zest, parmigiano, and (recently) garlic, lemongrass, and galangal. Thanks to #4!

4. LH. I miss my girlfriend. We've only been apart for a week, and usually that's not a huge trial for me. But this week has been insanely boring, lonely, and so forth, made worse by the impression (false? maybe...) that L was not having a good time (even while eating greasy boreks and club-jumping with quasi-celebrities in the former Yugoslavia). So happy was I to learn this morning that she seems to be having a much nicer time in Thailand. Night Market. Spicy fish soup!

5. Jenaya & Molly and company (Ryan and Jake). Met at Adam's Place for drinks and snacks. My drink: a Sazerac (licoricey whiskey, basically). Almonds to snack on. Fried Spanish ones. Jenaya ate miang kam (which, given the food costs, should be priced at about 3 bucks, not 11) and some chickeny things. After, John Cale discussion and some delicious, potent beer that left me in a state of not-remembering too much.

6. Larb. (Pork, of course.) Not just any Larb, but a Laotian (no, wait, Shan state--where is the Shan state again? Somewhere along the Mekong...) version containing insane quantities of galangal and chiles. And fresh herbs: scallions, garlic chives, lime leaves, mint, cilantro. Really good with simple steamed jasmine rice. Oddly (to me) this particular version did not call for fish sauce or lime juice. I remedied this.

7. Pulled pork sandwich from BBQ King. I haven't had one of these in a long time, so I picked one up en route to my afternoon coffee and newspaper destination. (A place that makes sinister drinks--poem forthcoming in the new, "so-new-I-can't-tell-anyone-about-it" chapbook.) Anyway--pork (more chopped than pulled), coleslaw, and the slightly tangy, slightly spicy, not too sweet sauce. On a cheap white roll (which is really the only way to eat a pork sandwich). Cheap ($3.75), abundant, good.

8. Joe Massey. Or imagining Joe in New York with Andy and Gina and the gang. Joe, you promised to call me from Brooklyn. I'm waiting.

9. Schmap! (It sounds like Schapp.)

10. Julia C. Thanks for the latenight tipsy phonecall. It was fun. I haven't chatted to anyone telephonically at length in some time.

No comments: