"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Beautiful Day, Horrible Day

New doctor today. He gave me pills but for some reason the prescription is only for 30 at a time with 12 refills. This means I have to go back to the damn pharmacy every month! What's up with that? Plus the physician struck me as a smug asshole.

*

Personal life: failure as usual.

*

Jealousy, fear, despair. Etc.

*

Tonight, Clayton Eshleman and then later I bake Lebanese flatbread for the Governor's Food Drive.

*

Ground control to Major Tom.

*

The Life Aquatic is pretty good for depression.

*

"It's time to leave the capsule if you dare." In another context, this is a very interesting (and apt?) sentence.

*

So today at work we had a workshop called "Boundaries and Dual Relationships." I think the subtext was "Don't sleep with your students!!!"

*

John Cale, "Chinese Envoy."

*

Today I spotted two English grad students in the bookstore talking to each other in lit jargon. I wanted to go over there and throttle them both.

*

Yikes! I just looked at my calendar for tomorrow. I'm booked solid. However, I must mention that it is a rare Friday when someone doesn't cancel or reschedule.

*

After the Goldrush is Neil Young's finest album, but not the first one I heard. The first Neil song I remember hearing is "Cry, Cry, Cry" during the Geffen days. It was on his weird rockabilly album and I was about 12 or so. My brother and I thought it was the oddest video we'd ever seen. I believe it involved Neil in cowboy boots and leather in the desert, trying to hitch a ride from a pink Cadillac. My next Neil memory is standing late night watch on the quarterdeck (Navy days) and listening to the radio. Sometime after midnight they'd always play "Hey Hey, My My." I bought my first Neil album (on cassette) a few days after first hearing it. It was Rust Never Sleeps. I nearly wore it out. "Sugar Mountain" and "Powderfinger" were two of my favorite songs for years. I lost my cassette and never bought Rust on CD.

My main Neil memory (the one that sticks with me the most) is seeing him in San Diego touring before Harvest Moon was released. My girlfriend, Lisa, was furious, and almost made us leave the show, because there were people smoking joints. Um. No shit?


"There was a band playing in my head / and I felt like getting high."

No comments: