"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Monday, March 22, 2004

Poet D

is Arielle Greenberg. One responder guessed that Arielle was Poet C. Nobody guessed she was Poet D. A lot of folks thought this was written by an "older man" (sixties, white, suburban). Wrong. Age 31. She teaches at Columbia College in Chicago. She publishes as many poems as Lyn Lifshin. I only know that Arielle is a vegetarian. I haven't eaten with her. I thought I'd have the chance in St. Louis, but we didn't hook up for dinner. Good thing. I ate a heaping plate of steak on top of a heaping pile of Welsh Rabbit/Rarebit. I think that this particular poem is one of the strongest short pieces in her book, Given. Overall, response to this poem was favorable.

No comments: