"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Stereo light and dark wine

Rain begins as weekend ends

and this song of wondering fades

into a new song

                                 of wondering.

--Aaron Tieger

* * *

"'cos I've been wondering where you get all your balls from"

--Michael George Johnson/Reclinerland, from "Orange County Revisited."

* * *

Aaron's little poemlet above. What to say? A haiku? Imagist experiment? Maybe the frequency of my recent weekend blogging has pointed to my lack of real life and the readers of this blog are picking up on this. This poem works as a description of my communicative practices--blogging, listserving, telephoning, teaching, listening. In the first four cases, I'm simply wondering aloud, sometimes into rain, other times into sun and slightly damp, thickish April air (right now...summer creeps in). In the final practice--listening--I'm simply wondering to myself.

It takes balls to write a simple, unadorned little poem like this. And balls to offer it up for consumption in our post-post-ironic-but-still-relentlessly-hip little poetry scene world. Taste it.

* * *

John Cale does a pretty good version of "Heartbreak Hotel." Feeling so lonely, baby, I could die.
Tieger's little poem captures a bit of that loneliness, though without the tinkly piano of Mssr. Cale.


No comments: