"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Boring Poetry and the Head vs. Heart Thingie

I’m promoting one of my comment box rants to full-post status here, with a bit of revision.

In response to Andrew the non poet, I have to ask: how much poetry have you read? Most folks who say poetry is boring either haven't read much, or have had it rammed down their throats by a really bad teacher. At least that's my experience. On the other hand, you really said “most poetry is boring.” This is true and no one should be surprised. It’s Sturgeon’s Law.

If a poet, though, thinks poetry is boring, or boring enough not to read it, then why the hell write it? I happen to think Lisa Jarnot is a marvelous poet, and I see nothing wrong with true crime books, if that's your thing, but what would compel an artist to create art that he or she thinks is, by definition, boring?

Musicians listen to music. Painters look at paintings. Actors and directors watch movies and plays. Poets--at least some of them--don't read poetry.

Maybe this is a sort of evasive post-avant pose. Maybe it's a cooler-than-thou stance that I can't adopt because I'm not really that cool.

Cool Poet: You actually READ poetry? Oh, that's so, er, early 20th century of you. How cute. I haven't read a poem in years. I don't even read my own--I just write 'em and send 'em out.

Me: Can I have a hug?

*

In other news, a good friend of mine mentioned, after reading “lucky error,” that I write “head poems” rather than “heart poems.” This floored me! If anything, I get accused (or maybe I just accuse myself) of writing overly sentimental crap. Intellect doesn’t play much of a part in my writing—at least not consciously. Maybe I’m smarter than I think I am. I’m no Kent Johnson. I’m no Josh Corey. Maybe I’m Sammy Hagar. I’d rather be Sammy Hagar. Heartless fucking Sammy Hagar. Ruthless motherfucker Sammy Hagar. Ruthless Hagar the Horrible. "Three Lock Box" is a rather good record.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if a poet says that he doesn't think poetry is boring, you should ask how much poetry he's read.

I mean it's like George Bush saying that the war in Iraq is going well... come on.

Oh yeah, and Josh Corey is boring.

-Andrew

Reen said...

Can we just revel in our boringness? Let the stew of dullness set in?

Yeah, I find a lot of poetry boring. And then some not. F'rinstance, last night, in the middle of reading submissions to a journal I read for, many of which defy the imagination for either disengagement or incompetence, I came across one that made me laugh so loud that everyone in the subway car turned to stare at me, whom they previously did not suspect to be a lunatic.

So hooray for the interesting poem! And now back to your regularly scheduled ennui.

Laurel said...

This is a really good conversation...

I think we need to pay some attention to words like "some" and "most" though.

I know that I, for myself, say that I "don't read" because I'm a little embarassed about what I do read, and about how often I return to things that aren't new for me. I sometimes feel like I'm supposed to be doing daily excursions into new work, work that challenges me, and often I'm not up to that.

Like, I read Jordan's "Just received" list online and think... "Good God! How will he read all of those books?"

I would say that every year I read somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 new books (new to me) of poetry. And what I read I read over and over, becasue for me, it takes awhile to absorb it. And then I read a ton of online journals, and I re-read a ton of old favorites.

But when people ask me if I "read much poetry" I say no.... Becasue there's so much I don't read, and I don't want to get trapped in a conversation, and not be able to hold up my end.

xoL

Anonymous said...

Tony, don't worry too much about head & heart...that binary's utterly artificial...Eliot can easily be said to be a poet of the heart, and O'Hara one of the head, does it matter? What would it mean to be specifically just one? Does all heart mean "emotive?" Do you want to be Jeff Tweedy or Andrew Joron? What is a "head", A "heart"? The distinction is truly superficial, at least where I come from. My take on Lucky E. is it's a ms. of a poet who's all hind & meart (It.).

By the way, did you read Silliman's blog entry on Cole Swensen? Weird and infantilizing, he's kind of creepy thesedays (won't go so far as to say the M word that kinds rhymes with bioligist, but...) and did you see the post he had on poets' bodies shaping/not shaping the poems? That one really ghouled me out...

Anthony Robinson said...

Izzat you, Twem?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Tony, you are right... Because I am no Anthony Robinson. And no one else is, either. And that's a good thing.

:~ )

Kent