"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance." --Wesley Snipes

Monday, February 06, 2006

Weekend

Food with my honey. Walking and running. Mission: to be svelte for Austin. Ha.

*

Chicken and asparagus burritos. I know this sounds weird, but L. came over with half an organic chicken and some meaty out of season green spears of deliciousness. I whipped up a tomatillo-chipotle salsa, boiled and shredded the chicken (saved the broth for soup), and threw everything together in a saute pan with a little onion. In the red saucepan, black beans with chorizo. Store-bought flour tortillas. One of these days, I'm gonna have to ask the abuelita to show me the way. I know they aren't that difficult to make.


*

Yesterday, long trek to west Eugene, passing many churches and schools on the way. Walk back on bike path, culminating in al pastor tacos, a milanesa torta, and a carnitas plate. If we expended 1000 calories on our tennish mile walk, I'm sure we more than replenished it with Mexican eats. I was really tempted to order the chicharrones platter--what's better on Super Bowl Sunday that a mess of pork-skin tacos? But I didn't. I was good. Ish.

*

Jeff Tweedy on Saturday at the McDonald, following a rousing game of Scrabble at the Bier Stein, with M&J and J&R. (We won.)

A brief Kevin M. sighting. Hi Kevin!

*

At the McDonald, my beers caught up with me. I spent most of the show sitting on the floor a good distance from the stage. I haven't been keeping up with my usual fierce rate of beer drinking these past couple of weeks, and I mistakenly thought I could drink the usual half-dozen plus pints before the show. I ended up groggy and more than a little disoriented. So that was a big bummer. On the upside, I met Charles Thompson, aka Frank Black aka Black Francis. I said hello and shook his hand. He introduced me to his wife, Violet. And then, drunk fanboy me quickly scurried away, embarrassed.

*

Nothing new poetically in these parts. I'm hoping that Austin will revive the spark, but I fear that it will do even more to extinguish it. I'm supposed to be reading but I don't know the venue or even who's organizing the event (I've seen two distinctly different emails with conflicting info). Futhermore, my publisher and co-poet (I'm reading from the collab) are not attending, so I'll be quite alone. I'm thinking of roping Joe Massey into the reading--having him do the Andy parts, maybe.

*

My iTunes keeps playing Face to Face. I'm not sure that I'm okay with that.

*

Now playing: Leonard Cohen, "Joan of Arc."

2 comments:

Jess said...

Tony,

Trying to make it to AWP myself. Being outta drinking shape is a good thing.

Scott Pierce said...

Tony,

Your publisher should have passed on some info about the reading event in Austin. Sorry about that. The event is the Unassoicated Garden Party. You'll receive more info in the coming days but know there is definitely an event and you are definitely on the bill to read. And so is Joe and many many other folks.

Yeah, some conflicting info floating around out there but it will be made clear very soon (at least for this event)

Best
Scott